cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NIC Teaming on Dell Servers

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I am using BASP to setup NIC teaming on a Dell R720 server. My understanding is that both of the following teaming methods supports load balancing/sharing. ie: team with 2 NIC cards (1gbps each) I will get 2gbps throughput. Am I right?

• Smart Load Balancing and Failover
• Link Aggregation (802.3ad)

If I were to setup LACP, is it mandatory to define native vlan? Is the following command holds good?

interface Port-channel100
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

interface GigabitEthernet 0/1
description Uplink to Server (NIC-1)
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
channel-group 100 mode active
spanning-tree portfast

interface GigabitEthernet 0/2
description Uplink to Server (NIC-2)
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
channel-group 100 mode active
spanning-tree portfast

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

The LACP portion of the configuration looks fine, but the access VLAN and switchport modes should be defined on the Port-channel100 interface as well as the member interfaces if you want the bundle to actually be on VLAN 100.

View solution in original post

That's what I indicated in my original answer: The access VLAN and switchport modes should be defined on the Port-channel100 interface as well as the member interfaces if you want the bundle to actually be on VLAN 100.

Defining "spanning-tree portfast" ("spanning-tree portfast trunk" for 802.1q) on the Po100 interface should be done for servers. Once you set it on the Po100 interface, it should reconfigure the member interfaces automatically.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

The LACP portion of the configuration looks fine, but the access VLAN and switchport modes should be defined on the Port-channel100 interface as well as the member interfaces if you want the bundle to actually be on VLAN 100.

I just realized that this  configuration is not correct. The command "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q"

on "interface Port-channel100" is wrong since I am using server nic's. So it should be access ports.

Also is there any issue defining them as spanning-tree port-fast as they are bundled together?

That's what I indicated in my original answer: The access VLAN and switchport modes should be defined on the Port-channel100 interface as well as the member interfaces if you want the bundle to actually be on VLAN 100.

Defining "spanning-tree portfast" ("spanning-tree portfast trunk" for 802.1q) on the Po100 interface should be done for servers. Once you set it on the Po100 interface, it should reconfigure the member interfaces automatically.