cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NM-16ESW in a 2651XM

jniezink
Level 1
Level 1

We tried to install a nm-16esw module in a 2651XM router.

But with both IOS 12.26 and IOS 12.3(20)we had the same problem: after booting the router the EN (enable) LED goes on. But after initializing the LED goes off again. And no interfaces are shown on the router.

What can this be???

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like the image that you are running does not support this hardware. I checked on the Software Advisor on CCO and to support the nm-16ESW on the 2651XM you need to run either 12.3T or 12.4 (or 12.4T) code. I can not tell from the original post exactly what you were running but I assume that it was probably main line code of 12.3. To support that hardware you will need a different image.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your answer!

Indeed, we now run a IOS 12.2 version.

And upgrading to 12.3(20) did not help, allthough the documentation supplied with the NM-16ESW told me that any 12.3 should be sufficient.

We will upgrade to 12.4.

Can you tell me what the highest GD version of 12.4 for the 2651 XM is?

Thanx,

Rutger

I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner for the 2651XM and there is not a version of 12.4 that is GD. To support that hardware on that platform I believe that you will need to run LD software.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Ok, we'll run the LD software.

Thanx again for your quick respons.

Greetings,

Rutger

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

looking in the hardware configuration it looks like you need at least 12.2XT which means 12.3 should work . You may be running into memory restrictions , if you have modules you don't need in the router try pulling a card or 2 and see if it recognizes it , we recently ran into a problem like this on a 2600 series and pulling one of the cards fixed it .

You need a "minimum" of 96 meg of dram to run the code that is needed .

Glen

There apears to be a mismatch between the hardware configuration and the Software Advisor. When I checked the Software Advisor asking for 2651XM and the nm-16ESW it did not present any 12.2 images and not 12.3 mainline as alternatives. It only listed alternatives in 12.3T, 12.4, and 12.4T. And based on Rutger's statement that they tried 12.3(20) without success, I am guessing that the Software Advisor was correct.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Could be , unless he is running into memory restrictions like we did recently . Once we pulled a 4 port serial card , the new FE was recognized. Before pulling the serial card the FE wasn't even recognized. This is what the product page says when I search,don't know if this will come out legible or not.

Minimum Supported Cisco IOS Release

NM-16ESW, NM-16ESW-PWR, NM-16ESW-1GIG

Cisco 2600 Series

12.2(8)T

Cisco 2811-21 Series

12.3(8)T

Cisco 2851 Series

12.3(8)T

Cisco 3620 and 3640 Series

12.2(8)T

Cisco 3660 Series

12.2(8)T

Cisco 3700 Series

12.2(8)T

Cisco 3800 Series

12.3(11)T

Glen and Rick,

We have currently 128 Mb in our 2651XM.

And we run no other cards.

We used to run an ATM NM-E1 interface card on this router. But we took that out before installing the ethernet switch.

So it must be that software advisor is right.

Friday we will know more as we have planned to install IOS 12.4 on the router on Friday afternoon.

Rutger

Please let us know how it turns out.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick