cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NNM 6.2 does not see a router as a router

ttuncaral
Level 1
Level 1

Network Node Manager 6.2 running with HP-UX does not define and show a router as a router and shows that a generic device. We checked Object Properties and saw that NNM discovers that device as a computer not a router.

The other device which has exactly the same configuration statements is discovered properly and shown as a router with model characteristics etc. Polling, deleting and adding do not change anything.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

turkeer

7 Replies 7

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Is this generic router, a cisco router?

yes, it is a cisco. I must say again that another cisco router which has the identical copy of hardware and software configuration works fine. Both can be accessed via SNMPWALK. One is discovered as a router the other is not.

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

Do the two routers have the same sysObjectID? If not I suggest the router you are having problems with is missing in $OV_CONF/oid_to_type. Another problem could be SNMP access. Is the correct community string configured in NNM?

both have the same sysObjectID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.245 which means Cisco 805.

its strange but oid-to-type does not have this entry. Can we add this manually?

It's not really all that strange. It's imposibel for NNM to keep up with all equipment from all vendors. So the hole idea is that you add what's needed.

You should add a G flag for this entry. Look at the man page for oid_to_type for the format. Note also that if you want to use another enumerated type for vendor or agent these need to be defined in ovw_fields and snmp_fields located in $OV_FIELDS/C.

I mean even this entry is not exist in oid-to-type file, NNM finds and matches this ObjectID with one router but the other is not. Isn't this strange?

I'll create a manual entry and retry it again.

Yes it is. There can be other reason such as DNS or MIB-II issues.

If you are interested mail me offline at michael.imhoff@hp.com and I'll find some information regarding the NNM discovery process.

Another option is to have HP support help you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: