Views
Helpful
Replies

No access to console port

microtel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem with the console port of Catalyst 2950: I can not access to the switch with Hyperterminal (Config:9600/8/None/1/Hardware)

Any Idea!!

Thanks

13 Replies 13

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

This is one that requires basic troubleshooting:

1: Verify HyperTerm operation

2: Check your cabling

3: Verify console port speed settings

4: Reload the switch if needed

When you still not get any output on a reload of the switch it is also possible that the console port is broken. No way to tell this for sure without going through all previous steps.

Regards,

Leo

Thanks Leo,

the stages which you described in your message were checked but without any result.

Is it possible to repair a broken port???

Regards

Malek

try the aux port. use the same settings as you would for the console port. this has worked for us in the past.

HTH

joel-metz

disregard the previous message. switch does not have an aux port. sorry about that. was thinking routing.

disregard the previous message. switch does not have an aux port. sorry about that. was thinking routing.

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Make sure you have the corrct console cable (rolled). 12345678 <=> 87654321

Possibly someone disabled the con port to allow no access. Can you get in via Telnet (or is this a new switch)??

Possibly the baud rate is set for 19.2k 8N1. Try different settings....

Sorry, but i can not access cia Telenet and I tryed the set 19.2 8N1 and differrent other setting but without success.

I am having the same problem with a WS-X5530-E3. I have a 5505 with this module in the chassis and cannot access the switch from the console port. I have tried using the 9600,8,None,1,Xon/Xoff. and 9600,8,None,1,Hardware, and also with 9600,8,None,1,None. All with no response. I do have a aux port on the blade but do not know the settings to use to access the switch using that port. If anyone can help.. All help will be wonderful.. THank you...

Hi,

Have you tried baud rates other than 9600 ? It's possible that someone changed them to a non-default baud rate on the 5505. I would try the whole range from 19200 to 115200.

Paresh

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Another thing to try is place a breakout box on the port and see if you are getting DCE signals from it. You should see DSR from it..

Also you can power reset the device and perform the password recovery features to it. This will allow you to bypass any configs that were placed on it. You will need to break into it and have up to 60secs to do so oce you power reset.

Hello.

Can you tell me what to do if I cannot reset my Cisco 3750G switch? I have tried powering off, then holding the reset button down, the while holding it down plugging the device back in. A video that I saw says to hold it down until the light goes out but the light will stop flashing but not go out. I have also tried when the switch is on, holding down the reset button for 30 seconds which would result in the password reset however, I am not able to access through the console. All I get is garbage characters no matter what baud rate I use with Putty.

If you are getting garbage characters it is almost always an indication that the baud rate setting in putty is not matching the rate of the console port. I suggest that you start at 1200 and try each baud rate up to the max. To be sure of it I would change the setting, stop putty, restart putty, then try the connection at the new setting.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick