Views
Helpful
Replies

No console port & no IP

janesh_abey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently got a cat 3524 but I cannot connect to it through the consle port.(settings and cables were double checked and they are all good).When I do a CDP from another Cisco device, I get the response from the switch saying thatIP is 0.0.0.0.Therefore, I think there is no startup -config in the NVRAM. I connected the switch to a DHCP server thinking it mught pick up an IP address but with no luck .Is there anyway to assign an IP address to this switch so I could use telnet and use it for my CCNA studies?.

cheers,

janesh

10 Replies 10

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Check with the all the speed settings in your terminal software.

It is quite possible that the console settings are set to different from the default values and hence you are not getting the console access.

Connect through the serial cable to the console port of the router. From your terminal software, start from teh slowest speed and increase it step by step, you should get access to console.

Once you get access, you can rever the speed settings of the console port.

-Vj

Hi VJ and Raj,

Thanks for the reply.I tried from 100- 9600 bps but no luck as yet.With the defualt settings of (9600-data bits -8, party none,stop bit-1,flow control-none)I could connect through the console port to other cisco devices.Tried it on a different PC and the results are the same.I think the console port had a natural death!!

cheers,

janesh

Hi Janesh,

Try this.

You should check with the speed settings above the default value.

Usually people increase the speed from the default 9600 to higher speeds, as it will be helpfull for xmodem uploads...

hope this helps

-VJ

Hi VJ,

I tried with speeds above the default setting but it did not work either.

thanks anyways,

cheers,

janesh

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Janesh,

in addition to VJ's comments, try to reboot the switch, when on console and see if you get any messages. sometimes there could also be some issues with the hyperterminal software, so try using with other laptops or softwares.

Raj

Check your cable on the another switch.

Hi Amdil,

cables work fine with another switch.

thanks,

janesh

Hi Raj,

I did reboot the switch but no output on the terminal window.Removed the covers and I checked the connectivity to see whether there are dry joints but there wern't any.Also I tried using the terminal software on a laptop but still nothing.

many thanks,

cheers,

janesh

Hi,

did you also try different flow control and parity setting ?

i still think, that there is still a problem

with your terminal settings...

do you see any, if also cryptical, output at console line ?

this would be a sign that someting's wrong with the settings....

Heelo.

many thanks for the reply.I do not see any output at console line.I did play with diffrent settings for flow control,baud and partiy but no luck.I made few inquiries from ppl in the industry and found out that sometimes due to power problems the console port stops working.However i'm thinking of configuring the IP for vlan 1 although I dont see anything on the screen.Sometimes it may not give the outputfrom console on screen but might take an input.I know chances are very remote but this will be my last resort.

thanks again,

cheers,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: