Views
Helpful
Replies

No DHCP/Email/Internet

coolboarderguy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

a Win2kPro box can't get a DHCP IP but when setting static it can, but, then can't connect to outside mail server or any web sites. Router has been rebooted, and other machines(Windows and Linux) are fine. The troublesome box can ping the router and switch, but can't ping any outside addresses. Confused. Cheers.

Router = NTT ME

Switch = 2950

coolboarderguy...

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Can you confirm where you got your DHCP services installed ?

is it on your NTT router or is it in any of the linux or windows server ??

regds

Hi All,

router manages DHCP. Cheers.

coolboarderguy...

noran01
Level 3
Level 3

Couple of things to check into:

Is portfast enabled on the switch?

When you set a static ip on the machine can it ping the outside mail server by ip (not FQDN)?

Are all the machines on the same vlan?

Hi All,

yes, same lan. It's a small company. It's got stranger over the weekend. Now, he can't access OutlookExpress, keeps getting msoe.dll error message. Says it cannot read the file. We are thinker we have a hobbyist cracker. What do you think.?

EDIT: mail server IP is pingable when static IP is set. what is portfast, and how do I check for it being enabled.?

coolboarderguy...

Sounds to me like it could be a virus then. To check for portfast you can console to the switch and then do a show config and see if the port it is plugged into has portfast enabled.

Any kind of software installed like firewall/system security?

Hi All,

re-installed(actually, he now says it was via the recovery CD, not a full re-install) OS twice, and got the same problems. The user said that as soon as he re-installed, and tried to run OoulookExpress or attempted to get a dynamic IP or even static this time, it was no good. Anyway, he's now installing XP onto another box. I'll get a chance to play with the faulty one later today. Cheers.

coolboarderguy...