There are several things that might produce the symptoms that you describe. Without some more details it is difficult to know which one it might be. Some of the possibilities include:
- the switches may not have an IP address assigned. The switch will still do an excellent job of forwarding frames at layer 2, but without an IP address it can not respond to ping.
- the switch may have an IP address but there is some error in configuration of the address (perhaps a misconfigured mask, or a keying error in the address). This would not impact the switch ability to function at layer 2 but would not allow it to respond to ping etc.
- the switch may not be configured with a default gateway (or configured with an error about the default gateway). This would allow the switch to respond at layer 3 within its own subnet but not able to respond to anything outside its subnet.
- the switch may have its IP address assigned for management purposes, but the address may be associated with a VLAN which has no active ports and therefore is inactive and can not respond.
- there might be an access list assigned somewhere that is not permitting the ping.
There could be some other things. If you can provide some more details, like what kind of switches are we talking about, and some details of how the switches are configured we may be able to find better answers.
If it responds to ping after a reboot and then after a day it stops responding, it certainly seems less likely that it is a configuration issue. It does seem to point more to a software bug. An update to the software would seem to be the best answer.
We have 3 identical switches configured by someone else and would like to claim some of the Gigabit ports(G1/G2/G3/G4) for use on servers. When we try to change the wiring and configuration, we run in to connectivity issues. Attached is a des...
This is actually a pretty cool feature, i didn't even know it existed until I was looking for a solution to advertise a subnet (prefix in BGP talk), only if a certain condition existed. This is exactly what conditional advertisements does
j ai une question j ai achete un routeur cisco 887VA-k9 , je le configuré avec la configuration ci- dessous
si je le lier avec mon pc portable sur l un de ses ports directement ça marche toute est bien ( la connexion internet + m...