cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no icmp reply from my catalyst 2950 switch

davidtan126
Level 1
Level 1

My switches is still operating but when i ping the switch, there isn't any reply. Expert please advice.

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

There are several things that might produce the symptoms that you describe. Without some more details it is difficult to know which one it might be. Some of the possibilities include:

- the switches may not have an IP address assigned. The switch will still do an excellent job of forwarding frames at layer 2, but without an IP address it can not respond to ping.

- the switch may have an IP address but there is some error in configuration of the address (perhaps a misconfigured mask, or a keying error in the address). This would not impact the switch ability to function at layer 2 but would not allow it to respond to ping etc.

- the switch may not be configured with a default gateway (or configured with an error about the default gateway). This would allow the switch to respond at layer 3 within its own subnet but not able to respond to anything outside its subnet.

- the switch may have its IP address assigned for management purposes, but the address may be associated with a VLAN which has no active ports and therefore is inactive and can not respond.

- there might be an access list assigned somewhere that is not permitting the ping.

There could be some other things. If you can provide some more details, like what kind of switches are we talking about, and some details of how the switches are configured we may be able to find better answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi

in addition to Rick's post i found similar post inline with the same kinda problem and came to know about a bug floating around which could also be a possible reason.

You mite want to look the link below for more info..

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/support/tac/tools.shtml

Bug id : CSCdx26212

Fixed in 12.1(9)EA1c, 12.1(9)EA1d, 12.1(9)EA01d, 12.1(11)EA01

regds

Hi Rick, thank you for your support.

The model of the switch is C2950-24-EI, IOS 12.1(6)EA2, the switch is configured with IP address, it was able to ping after reboot but the ping only last for a period of 1 day.

Configuration wise is no problem, all address are valid.

No VLAN being configured

No access list being assigned

Hi

would suggest to upgrade the ios code to any of the codes mentioned in my previous post..

regds

David

If it responds to ping after a reboot and then after a day it stops responding, it certainly seems less likely that it is a configuration issue. It does seem to point more to a software bug. An update to the software would seem to be the best answer.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Just a late late late response.... 

I had the issue of not being able to access a 2950 that was set up on a tunnel spoke, from the hub.  No pings or snmp.  My solution was to assign a default gateway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: