cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No image in bootflash of MSFC

nwalton
Level 1
Level 1

I am part of a staging project which includes several 6513s with Sup2 cards. One of the 6513s has come from a Proof of concept area and I have found that on the secondary MSFC, there is no image in the bootflash for it to boot from.

I can force the MSFC in to rommon mode but cannot load an image into the bootflash.

Any ideas on how to get the MSFC loaded?

As the Sup2 runs CatOS OK, I am considering deleting the CatOS and installing a native IOS. Or could I just amend the hex boot code?

Thanks

Neil

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have PCMCIA card, load an MSFC2 IOS image on to it and you can use it to boot the MSFC2. You can read the contents of slot0: from the MSFC, but the MSFC can access slot0:. So from the supervisor, do a "dir slot0:", get the exact file name, do a "switch console" to get to the MSFC2 rommon and they type the boot command

rommon1>boot sup-slot0:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you do not have a PCMCIA card, use XMODEM to load a boot image which is much smaller then a regular IOS

Here is a handy link that I have used to resolve a similiar problem

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#cat6k

HTH

I tried the PCMCIA card, but the MSFC refused to recognise the card as a valid device and would not boot from it. I then used xmodem to download the boot image from my PC. This took several attempts but when it succeeded, the MSFC loaded into boot mode. I was then able to copy the files from the PCMCIA card onto the bootflash and amended the config to use the new images. The MSFC then booted up OK.

Thanks for the help.

Neil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: