Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

no ip forward-protocol command

I have 14 vlans with routing enabled between them. I also have two dhcp/dns servers in my "server" vlan. I currently have the ip helper command in my config for both servers and was wondering the impact of the no ip forward-protocal command. How would I disable all forwarding except the DHCP udp packets? Do I need any of the other packets forwarded? I use a WINS server with hybrid connections from my clients, DNS if I'm not mistaken is a unicast, and the other protocols seem irrelevant. I guess I'm a little confused about the ip helper and ip forward-protocol to start. Can someone please explain the benefits, if any, of having these packets forwarded to my DHCP/DNS server? Is it standard to block the other packets? Do I gain anything? Any documentation that specifically talks about the use of the commands would be helpful.

Thanks

Ray

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: no ip forward-protocol command

Once you define ip helper-address, ip udp forward-protocol is enabled and default ports as given in the doc are enabled. You can use the "no ip forward-protocol udp 37" for example if you u want to deny Time Server. If you want to allow any other ports in addition to these, u need to specify it specifically.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios11/rbook/rip.htm#xtocid2857336

I appreciate the responds but I don't think you answered my question completely. It what scenarios would I need to forward DNS, NetBIOS, Time protocol? I obviously need to forward the DHCP packets, but why would I ever need to send other broadcasted packets to my DHCP/DNS server if it can't do anyting with thoses packets. And do I need to forward DNS broadcasts if my users recieve the IP's of DNS servers from DHCP. Is DNS not a unicast.

Sorry if this sounds redundant.

Ray

There may be scenarios wherein there are multiple servers like DHCP,TFTP,DNS servers in a differnet vlan, subnet when the router converts UDP broadcasts into directed broadcasts by specifying multiple ip helper commands.

I am not sure about how exactly DNS/DHCP works in your scenario. You can try blocking these and see if it works fine.

Views
Helpful
Replies