cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no magic number

williamgrod
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a 1710 router. Each time I try to configure the router, I get the message about no magic number.what must I do to input a magic number?

3 Replies 3

You may have a problem with the flash card in your router. Try these suggestions taken from the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_tech_note09186a008009483a.shtml

The Flash card is removed or badly inserted. Verify the presence of the Flash card by running the show flash command:

router(boot)#show flash

%Device in REMOVED state

Insert or reseat the Flash. If the problem persists, replace the Flash card. If that doesn't resolve the problem, replace the router.

The Flash is empty or the filesystem is corrupted. Copy a valid image on the Flash, and while copying, you will be prompted to erase the old Flash (if one exists). Then reload the router.

Refer to Software Installation and Upgrade Procedures for instructions on how to copy a valid image onto the Flash.

HTH,

Swack

the router is stuck in the rommon mode which I have not been able to change, thanks for the info on the technotes.......Thanks, Bill

Hello

I have the same problem with 920 series in the nvram

try this:

in rommon set the configuration register to 0x2142

reset the router

when it boots erase the startup configuration

set back configuration register to 0x2102

wr mem

reload

I hope this help