cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No. of hosts on Ethernet segment

abahl
Level 1
Level 1

Is there is any restriction for number of hosts in a particular Ethernet segment.

If I am not wrong its 1024, but I am unable to find any documentation in this regard.

Please confirm if there is some document on web related to this

Thanks,

Anuj

3 Replies 3

rais
Level 7
Level 7

There can be more than 1024 devices. However, performance will degrade with the addition of each host. This will also depend on:

1. the cable lengths used

2. distance traversed

3. technology used.

Thanks.

I came across this topic in a Cisco Press book, LAN Switching. I was wrong in my previous message.

The book reads:

"Ethernet imposes limits on how many workstations can attach to a cable. These constraints arise from electrical considerations. As the number of transceivers attached to a cable increases, the cable impedance changes and creates electrical reflections in the system. If the impedance changes too much, the collisoin detection process fails."

Next the book advises not to put more than 100 hosts for 10Base5 network and only 30 max for 10base2 systems.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Rais.

Greetings,

Could you please provide me the details for 100 Base Tx Ethernet.

Thanks,

Anuj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco