Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

no one can ping me??

I am withing my office network. Till date everything was ok but recently I started experienceing the issue of my IP address not being pinged from anywhere on the network even from machines withing the same subnet.

I am able to access the web, telnet into routers and pix firewall etc. But no one can ping my IP.

I had a static IP for myself but then ?I changed it and received a dynamic IP. Still the issue persists.

I can do a loopback to myself.

How do I troubleshoot?

Thanks

vik

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: no one can ping me??

Looks like a strange problem. Try clearing the ARP cahce in you machine. Verify your DHCP configuration and check all the parameters you get from DHCP like IP address, subnet mask, default gateway etc and see if it is same as other machines in your network, except the IP address. Also make sure someone else is not using your IP addess.

First see if the ping request is reaching your host. If it is not, then the problem may not be in your host. If the ping request (ICMP Echo) reaches your host, but does not leave your host, then there is a problem in your machine. If it leaves your machine as (ICMP Echo-Reply), then again there could be network routing issue.

But I am wondering why people in your subnet is unable to ping you!?

Re: no one can ping me??

MAke sure your not running a software firewall. I was running cisco vpn client with the statefull firewall, and had the same exact problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.