tried both com ports

tried 2 different systems

tried new cable and connector

Anyone have any other ideas?

7 Replies 7

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Depending on your console line configuration the speed may be set to other than 9600. If you have the configuration look at the "line con 0", if not just try the different speed options up to 115200.

Hope this helps,

Don

Thank you .. it worked !!!

Strange thing that it worked only through Putty after setting up speed as 115200

lauren
Level 1
Level 1

Is it an ISDN router? Console ports have a tendancy to not work after someone has plugged an ISDN line into them by mistake (yum smell that ozone). Sorry to state the obvious but it used to happen a lot when I worked at a Telco.

The other possibility, if its an up and in service router, is that its run out of memory. A neat trick with that is to unplug an interface cable for a split second. That frees up buffer memory (when the interface goes down) and gives you a few seconds before it gets used up again to log in.

I hope its just the speed setting though ;)

Hello,

your line con 0 does not have the 'no exec' command configured by any chance ? If so, remove that line, that might help.

Regards,

Georg

We have lost 3 2600s with dead console ports. It was a hardware problem for us. They are all trash now. Maybe its time for a recall??

scorpionny
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same exact problem I can't figure this up

mbailie
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem once. I finally learned that it was a baud rate problem. The router was configured with a buad rate that my computer did not support . I assume that this was for security. I had to use the console reset jumper on the motherboard to reset the routers console port to 9600. Here is a link that explains how to do this. Hope it works. http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/59.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: