Views
Helpful
Replies

no shutdown problems

ccoutts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am running version 11.2(8.1)SA6 IOS on a Cisco Catalyst 2924.

We are experiencing problems when issuing the 'no shutdown' command on the switch.

Although a switch port can be shutdown, the command to enable it again 'no shutdown' fails to bring the port administratively up again.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening ?

Many Thanks,

Charles

6 Replies 6

DALE FRANCIS
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried to loop a port via CLI, there is a bug associated with a similar issue but only when port is attached to a router, also this was found in an earlier version but no fix applied that i can see.

The workaround was to loop then no shut immediately (give or take 2 seconds).

Hi - thanks for replying so quickly.

The port(s) in question are user ports. Can you tell me what you mean by loop the ports ?

Thanks,

Charles

You can loop the ports, this is just to trick the IOS basically.. I will not guarantee this will fix it.

If this works it will just be a workaround..:(

Eg:

int fast 0/ x

no shut

loop

no loop

Also you could try clear int fas 0/x

Unfortunately, no joy doing this.

It looks like I will just have to upgrade the IOS.

Thanks for your help.

Yip, seems the only way.. Sorry about that.

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

i ran into a similar problem just yesterday. the problem i ran into is that the vlan assigned to the port wasn't actually a vlan within the VTP domain, so the client and the switch would not signal properly. I ended up with an amber light on the switch, a green light on the client, and a status of down, down on the interface. I did a shut and a no shut on the ports, but they would not come up until I put the ports in a VLAN within the vtp domain. i hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: