Views
Helpful
Replies

No Trap from Cat1900 to CW2K

mgoswami
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm having a campus network with Cat1900 switches (Ver V9.00.04 Enterprise Edition) and Cisco Works 2000 NMS. All the devices are visiable in the RME database - showing in Availability Monitor, can view the device using Cisco View, showing in the Topology diagram. Trap is enabled in the Cat1900. But no messages are getting logged into the Syslog. All other switches and routers in the network are sending error messages into the Syslog.

Pls suggest possible solution.

Regards,

Malay.

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

What is the RME version and specific 1900 model?

Thanks for response.

The RME ver is 3.3.

We are using WS-C1912C-EN & WS-C1924-EN model of Cat1900.

Firmware Ver is V9.00.04. I tried with Firmware ver V9.00.06 also in one Cat1900, but no go.

Can U pls confirm whether it is possible to have Syslog messages from Cat1900? If yes how.

All the SNMP traps are enabled in the Cat1900 as shown below.

WIB405#sh snmp traps

Authentication trap: Enabled

Link up/link down trap: Enabled

Address violation trap: Enabled

Broadcast storm control trap: Enabled

VTP traps: Enabled

Host Community String

------------------------------------------------

10.1.1.10 public

WIB405#

Now the problem is I'm not receiving any messages from Cat1900 in my NMS (10.1.1.10). Its not clear if I need to do anything in the NMS (CW2K) to enable receiving Traps from Cat1900. Pls tell how can I log events (say link Up/Down) form Cat1900 into my NMS and how to view the log or generate report.

Regards,

Malay.

You're mixing up traps with Syslog messages. According to RME 3.3 Supported Device List at: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000e/e_3_x/3_3/e3_3.htm#69121

RME 3.3 does not support Syslog Analysis for Cat1900 as under the Syslog Analyzer you'll see Not Supported listed above for the Cat1900. As for the traps, RME is not a Trap listener application either.

Thanks for clarifying tarps and Syslog messages. Now can U suggest a work around for logging trap messages (Link Up/down, Authentication etc) from Cat 1900. We are having DFM1.1. I'm not conversent with DFM. So if U suggest something to do with DFM, pls tell in details, considering I dont know much about it.

Many thanks in advance.

I'd suggest that you look into the DFM User Guide for details on how to use it with your switches.