Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Non-routable VLAN's on Cat6500

Hi,

I have unherited a config which has two VLAN's created in the VLAN database into which we can place ports & get layer 2 connectivity as required.

As there is no SVI (Interface VLAN X) for these VLAN's, we can not get inter vlan connectivity.

I want to create another one of these non-routed VLAN's without an SVI.

However, when I add the new VLAN to the VLAN database and place 2 ports into it, I can't ping between the devices at all.

It is only when I create an SVI in the new VLAN that the devices can ping - however this now means the attached devices can ping Inter-VLAN which I do not want.

I could use an access list on the SVI, but would rather replicate how the other 2 VLAN's are set up.

Any ideas ?

TIA.

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Non-routable VLAN's on Cat6500

hi,

it is possible to configure a vlan without a SVI.

Are you using native IOS or catos ? What config did you do to configure the vlan ?

When you issue check the vlan database, is the vlan active and it clearly shows that the 2 switchports involved are in the same vlan ?

Are the 2 devices on the catalyst 6500 switch or are the devices connected to other switches that connect back to the catalyst 6500 ?

It's native IOS.

The VLAN was created using VLAN database "VLAN X", then APPLY command.

The 2 devices are connected to ports directly on this box.

The ports were definitely in the right VLAN because as soon as I created the SVI, I could ping between the devices.

Purple

Go into the vlan database and do a "vlan X state active" command . The vlan will not activate without this even though it is created .

Bronze

In native IOS, configure a new vlan through the configuration mode. Don't go through the vlan database mode. Its the old way of doing it.

Example:

router(config) vlan 2

...etc...

That will give me the routeable SVI though which I don't want ?

To keep this an isolated VLAN, I'm going to give the "vlan X state active" command a try.

Thanks,

Paul.

Views
Helpful
Replies