cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to access active router

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

I have 6509 with SUP2 and CATOS 8.1.3 and IOS 12.1(22)E2 and I'm running Single router mode. I have started to see this strange problem when I can no longer access to active router by session 16, I get the error

"Trying Router-16...

session: Unable to tunnel to Router-16 (57)" I had to reboot the standby to make it work. I don't want to reboot this time. anyone seen this?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nawas,

Chances are that all 5 vty lines are in use.

Can you console into the MSFC using "switch console 16" and then verify that the vty lines are in use?

You can issue the command "sh line" which will probably show them all in use. You can clear the lines your want by issuing the command "clear line vty #" from an enable prompt. If you want to enable additional vty lines for telnet, you can issue the command "line vty 5 8" in global config mode. This will give you 4 more vty lines if you so desire.

Hope that helps. Please rate helpful posts

Bobby

Good idea to put exec-timeouts on your vty lines also so it will log them after a period of inactivity.

Hello

Exec timeout is configured but I suspect that the lines are still occupied (not sure why) but since I'm not able to get into active router mode and if I clear the line in standby router it clears the line only for standy router (am I right?) I guess my last option is to travel to the side and do switch console 16. DO you have any other suggestion that it can be done remotely?