Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to change auto to trunk mode on switch

aksher
Level 1
Level 1

SW-B-TOP(config-if)#switchport mode trunk

When trying to execute the above command am getting the following error.

Command rejected: An interface whose trunk encapsulation is "Auto" can not be configured to "trunk" mode.

29 Replies 29

Thanks Ankur

Should we need to disable the concerned vlan of the port before entering the configuration.

Hi Friend,

Thats not required because if you put the config which I posted in my previous mail it will take care of the issue.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

This worked on one of the switches and not the other?! 

What do you think could be the cause besides lab technical issues?

Could you run a " sh int gig #/# capabilities"

look under Trunk encap. type:

and Trunk mode:

it will give you capabilities information of the port

The command is "switchport TRUNK encapsulation dot1q".  This will then allow the command "Switchport MODE TRUNK".

This is the core to the configuration - You NEED this command to run a standard trunk configuration otherwise it WILL NOT work...

Hi Ankur,

I have question why for switch multilayer is different from switch not multilayer if we need configure trunk on port?

Thanks,

Thank you that worked for me!

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q is not working.  After switchport trunk its not accepting encapsulation

Sudeb Das
Level 1
Level 1

Akser

randdavis
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks your guidance worked great and now my ports are trunking.

Hello

On some older switches and IOS -You need to specify its encapsulation first

int x/x/
switchport trunk encap dot 1q

switchport mode trunk

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

PingPauly
Level 1
Level 1

Failing of Cisco ...AGAIN

I cannot stress to how frustrating this course is when this command is NOT anywhere in the reading material for the course, not in the packet tracer activity, not in the labs. 

Yet here we are trying to get this cert. -.-

negi.uk007
Level 1
Level 1

(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

SW-B-TOP(config-if)#switchport mode trunk

When trying to execute the above command am getting the following error.

Command rejected: An interface whose trunk encapsulation is "Auto" can not be configured to "trunk" mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

switchport mode trunk ---  for this command, there's one prerequisite is that must have to configure the trunk encapsulation protocol manually, before there's auto set by default.

Manually configure the truk encapsulation protocol  ------ switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q or isl

then you can configure the switchport mode trunk command.

Thanks

jimandrew33467
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like you're trying to configure a trunk port on an interface with an "Auto" trunk encapsulation. You'll need to change the encapsulation to "dot1q" before configuring the Top Follow interface as a trunk. Try entering the command "SW-B-TOP(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" first, and then try configuring the interface as a trunk again.