Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Not able to telnet on 2950 switch

Hi,

I am new in a networking field, Can you help me to configure the 2950 switch. I have configured 2950 switch and given ip 10.x.x.x. But I am not able to telnet this switch from my desktop.Switch is working fine.

Regards,

Viresh

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Not able to telnet on 2950 switch

Is your desktop on the same subnet as the switch? Can you ping it?

Hi,

Yes, My desktop is on the same subnet as the switch. But still I am not able to ping it. And one more thing is we have created vlan, This s/w is in vlan 79 and my desktop is in 70 vlan. and on the L3 intervlan routing is enable.

Create interface VLAN 79 and assign an IP address to it. Be sure to shutdown interface VLAN 1 and do a no shut on interface VLAN 79. Layer two switches only allow one active management VLAN.

What are you using for routing?

--Patrick

Assign a valid address and mask to the vlan1 interface (interface vlan 1). Be sure it's not shut down with a 'no shut' command. Assign a default gateway to it with the 'ip default-gateway' command. Be sure to assign an enable password and a password on the VTY line.

Of course this assumes a very basic network. The ports would be left on the default VLAN and your workstation is attached to one of the ports and on the same IP subnet.

--Patrick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content