Views
Helpful
Replies

Not getting IP from DHCP on 2950

azmath.hk
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

access switch is connected to base switch and base switch is connected to DHCP server, however users are connected to access switch are not getting IP address. Hence i would like to know the solution from experts.

I remember there is a command in CATOS "set port host" by this way we can enhance port to get IP quickly..if there is any command similiar in IOS?

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Khan.

4 Replies 4

Khan,

The problem of users not getting IP from the DHCP usually happens when 'spanning-tree portfast' is not enabled on access ports. PCs don't wait long enough for DHCP responses and time out.

Can you make sure all the access ports, to which the users are connected to, have spanning tree portfast enabled.

HTH,

Sundar

Yes, Spanning tree portfast enabled for all access ports...still not able to get IP from DHCP?

Is the DHCP server on the same VLAN as the users having the problem?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The equivalent command for set port host in catos on a IOS box is the "switchport host" command ,turns on portfast, turns off trunking and channeling... The other question is , is the dhcp server on the same subnet and vlan as the users that aren't getting an IP ? If yes then I wouls suspect the dhcp server itself..