cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

not sending mac

rop
Level 1
Level 1

After moving a cat6513 from one location to another uor 6513 has stopped sending mac-addresses OUT on all gig-interfaces. Have done two reload. Still no change.

What can this be? Need help.

7 Replies 7

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Rop,

Can you be more specific?

A switch does not send out frames, it learns MAC addresses on it's switchports as traffic is sent/received.

For instance can you see what addresses are learnt on any interface that is enabled/connected to another switch.

#sh mac-address-table interface Gi1/1

Please provide more information on your topology. If possible attach a simple diagram.

Try to ping a remote host. Than show the ARP table with "sh arp". If the ARP table shows the IP address with incomplete, the outgoing packets could not be encapsulated due to missing ARP reply.

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate posts.

in customer-1 they can see mac from customer-2.

in customer-2 they can't see mac from customer-1

In our 6513-02 i can see mac from customer-2

The strange thing is that if i enable cdp we see eachother, everything looks normal.

This happened to ALL our customers connected to this 6513.

All this worked before we moved our 6513-02 to the new location.

You have established that the link between the two 6513's is operational by issueing show cdp neighbor.

The interface on which the 6513 is discovered is of interest.

#show vlan interface /

#show interface / switchport

#show interface / trunk

Is the configured trunk between the two switches operational?

Is the mutual (management) VLAN allowed over the trunk?

Verify the configuration on both ends.

#show run interface /num>

I think problem lies with trunk/vlan configuration. Verify with the above commands. If you need further assistance please post configurations.

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate posts.

all configuration is the same as it was before we moved to the other location. We have only longer fiber than before.

Rop,

Do you have UDLD enabled? It seems that you have a uni-directional connection. I.e. site 1 can communicate with site 2, but site 2 not with site 1.

Enable UDLD globally

(config)#udld enable

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/udld.htm

Check your interface statistics, do you see incoming and outgoing frames?

#show interface Gi0/1

Check your physical connections. What is the distance between the two switches? Please include cable type (e.g. single or multimode), laser type (e.g. SX, LX), et cetera.

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate posts.

we have 2way communication. It's singlemode fibre with LX. The distance is 3 kilometers.

How does the WS-X6516 Gbic module handle mac? there must be some kind of buffer that handles this, and i wonder if they differ on in- and outgoing?

If you are shure about two-way communication, what happens when you do the following

debug ip packet

debug interface

ping

Please post the connectivity as requested earlier in this conversation.

If that doesn't help, I suggest you call Cisco TAC. They can assist you further.

--Leon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: