cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

notification when router is down

gharo
Level 1
Level 1

How can I be notified by cell phone if my router (cisco 2600) went down??

thanks..

5 Replies 5

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the router died, it will be difficult for it to send any notifications. A station (amangement station) polling the router regularly might be able to detect that. Now, can a station inform you by SMS for instance, maybe.

I actually have a management station (probe), which polls the router, that's a win98 workstation, but I can't seem to find any solutions to this..

You can use Network Instruments, Link Analyst, which polls the router at different intervals that is configurable. When your router shuts down or if any of the ports are defective, Link Analyst will alert you by pager or cell phone text messenging.

It works well for us and you ar notified within minutes.

SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor does this as well. You can monitor by specific interface and it also shows utilization, errors, etc.,

mpedro
Level 1
Level 1

Whats Up gold by IPswitch will do this for you.

The majority of cell phones now have a email address associated with it. Use some sort of out of band monitoring tool to monitor your interfaces. If using a SNMP MIB browser, you can set it to monitor a specific interface. If the int reaches a certain threshold, or does not respond, you can start a batch file. This batch file could be something real simple that just emails your cell phone. This entire set up should be fairly easy to set up and I bet you can find some free tools to do this for you.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: