cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NPE-G1 - Reset by hardware watchdog timeout with no traceback : CSCea25622

jason.farber
Level 1
Level 1

We have had 2 7206vxrs with NPE-G1s that just reboot every 4-6 weeks on their own. It appears to be this bug, that has no workaround and Cisco does not yet know what causes it. The two NPE-G1s had different versions of code, one had 12.1.13E and the other had 12.2.4. Has anyone else had similar issues?

I thought with the NPE-G1 having been out for a while I'd be safe from new product instabilities but apparently not.

CSCea25622 Bug Details

Headline NPE-G1 - Reset by hardware watchdog timeout with no traceback

Product c7200 Model

Component c7200-npeg1

Severity 1 Status Open

First Found-in Version 12.1(14)E All affected versions

Symptoms: A NPE-G1 may reload by itself and reports the reload

as a "System was restarted by reload".

Conditions: c7200 with NPE-G1 running IOS release 12.1(14)E.

Workaround: There is no workaround.

3 Replies 3

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That bug is reported agains E releases. Now you do have one 7200 on 12.2.4 so do you see the same issue on that version too?

If not, then you can go for that version..

No, one of the two NPE-G1s was at that version and I had it set up to go to 12.1.14e, meaning the code was on the flash and all I had to do was go through our change management process to implement it. But before I could do that, the router rebooted due a watchdog reset, the same as our 12.1.14e npe-g1. So the bug does seem to affect both versions. According to TAC, there is no software fix available.

The B on 12.2.4B stands for Broadband, right?

The fix or workaround for that bug is still not available. So stay away from 12.1.14E if that bug is bothering you too much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: