Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

NSAP Addresses

Hello, I have a test network set up with a PC connected to an LS1010 over OC-3, a DS-3 connection from that LS1010 to another LS1010, which has an OC-3 connection to a Catalyst 3000, which connects via Ethernet to the LAN. My question is should I see NSAP addresses going across the DS-3 link?

Thanks, Joe

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: NSAP Addresses

Joe,

Do you mean as a PNNI peer, DTL (Designated Transit list), ??? I don't quite know what your asking here. If you are talking about PNNI then yes. A show atm pnni neighbors will show you your DS3 and your neighbor and it's NSAP.

test-ls1#sh atm pnni nei

Neighbors For Node (Index 1, Level 56)

Neighbor Name: test-ls2, Node number: 9

Neighbor Node Id: 56:160:39.840F80113744000000400102.00107B0EFC01.00

Neighboring Peer State: Full

Link Selection Set To: minimize blocking of future calls

Port Remote Port Id Hello state

ATM3/0/0 ATM3/0/0 2way_in (Flooding Port)

Hope this helps,

Don

Don,

This is a PNNI connection, using SVCs. I can see the NSAPs from the endpoint to the LS1010, and the other LS1010 to the Cat3000 (the other endpoint on the ATM network). My question is, will NSAPs be transmitted on links other that from the endpoint to the first router or switch?

Thanks,

Joe

Silver

Joe,

The only NSAPs that are really transmitted are in PNNI link state updates for the 1010's to update the atm routing table (PNNI DB Topology). When the SVC is established there is a Called& Calling NSAP transmitted in the Call setup messages. Hope this is what you are after.

Regards,

Don

Don,

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated. I will try to give you as much background as I can.

What I am trying to do is diagnose a customer issue; I'm trying to figure if it a probe issue or is it functioning as designed. I can see NSAP addresses in the MIB (using our ATM Monitor) on the OC-3 link from the endpoint to the first LS1010 and from the second LS1010 to the endpoint. I can even see NSAPs when I use RAD converters on the OC-3 link to simulate a DS-3 line. I cannot see NSAPs in the DS-3 link between the LS1010 switches when looking at the ATM MIB. I can see data on the signalling PVC (0:5) and the ILMI PVC (0:16) on the DS3 link.

My other question would be are SVC connections set up from endpoint to endpoint, or are they endpoint to switch?

Thanks,

Joe

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.