cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP Config on Private Network - 3660/2610

rsommer
Level 1
Level 1

Having routers that do not have a calendar - I somehow need to make sure my routers keep proper time. I've been pointed to NTP. Routers being used are 36xx and 26xx. What I thought I would do is run ntp master on our central router (point to point network) and have the rest sync with this router. Although this router does not have a calendar - I will know exactly when it reboots, etc - so I can change the time as necessary. (Note: Wasn't planning on having the master router sync with an external reference. This would be our only implementation of NTP to date - but just in case, used stratum 15 for master.)

Commands Used:

Master - ntp master 15

Router - ntp server IPADDRESSOFMASTER

The way I'm configuring this doesn't appear to be working.

So - if you were me, how would you do this? What is the command syntax?

If this is a bad idea - let me know. I'm not a big fan of doing it this way. I'm not a major control freak - but I do want our routers running with some semblance of the correct time.

Appreciate the help.

2 Replies 2

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

I believe the reason your configuration is not working is that you are setting your master for Stratum 15 (highest level). Omit the 15 and, if memory serves, the internal clock will be Stratum 4 by default. Since your NTP clients will decriment a Stratum level you'll see them then clocked to your Stratum 4 reference.

Hope this helps,

Don

Thanks Don - helped.

I thought the lower the stratum number, the highest priority it hasin NTP - probably helpful in NTP broadcast environment. By setting it to 15 - I thought I was telling other NTP clients out there that this was NOT a 'highly reliable' clock source. Probably wrong on all accounts.....

Guess since this is the only implementation of NTP on the network I should not have cared anyway...

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: