Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

NTP problem

Here is the setup. Two sites (site 1 and site 2), with two 6506's (A and B) at site 1 and two 6509's (odd and even)at site 2. 6506 A is setup as NTP master and is synced to internet, no problem here. All equiptment at site 1 is synced to A, no problems here.

Switch A has a fiber connection to odd and switch B has a fiber connection to even, both are routed ports. A has a connection to B. Odd is connected to even. Switch A has no directed connection to even. Switch B has no direct connection to odd.

Now the interesting (to me)part. Switch odd does not sync (ntp) but switch even does. Switch odd routes directly to switch A and switch even routes through switch B to get to A. Any equiptment at site 2 that routes through odd to get to switch A, does not sync. But that same equiptment routed through switch even, gets ntp sync from switch A. Packet traces show the ntp packets being sent from switch odd and received at switch A but they are never acted upon. Also note, the ntp packets that are routed through switch even to get to switch A may return via switch odd, that is not a problem. The only problem appears to be ntp packets that are routed to switch A via switch odd.

I have not had a chance to debug ntp on any switch, that can only be done on sunday's after a full moon at low tide or some such scenario. Until then, any ideas?

Thanks

jogillis

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: NTP problem

Re: NTP problem

Thanks for the reply. I tried "no ntp disable" on the intefaces between the switches,to make sure NTP was enabled on the interfaces. No go. I know the NTP association configuration is "OK",I know this because if I change the route to get to the NTP server (switch A), I get NTP sync.

Thanks

jogillis

Views
Helpful
Replies