Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

NTP Server.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes......

If I have a bunch of routers and I want them to get the time via NTP. Is there a website on the Internet that I can use as my NTP server? The idea is that I could find the IP address of the NTP server and the routers could synchronise with it.

By the way, I am in England so would need an NTP server with English time!!

Thanks all.

Dazzler.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Re: NTP Server.

Dazzler,

it is generally a good practice to identify the clock source you want to use on the internet(one that is geographically close is a good thing). Email the admin for that source and explain that you would like to point one of your devices at their host as a clock source. I have never been turned down.

You should just point one device out of your network for NTP and then point all of your other devices to that one. That way you reduce un-necessary NTP traffic and un-necessary NTP requests at the internet source.

You need to set the timezone for your routers and any other options that you need.

HTH

5 REPLIES
Community Member

Does your network have an internal clock source ? If not , your service provider would be your best bet atleast for stratum 2 clocking.

Community Member

To be honest this was a general query. Assume I don't have an internal clock source, could I sync my routers to an NTP server on the web?

vdk
Community Member

Dazzler,

check

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1a.html

You don't need english time - your routers will understand and translate if necessary.

Vincent

Community Member

Dazzler,

it is generally a good practice to identify the clock source you want to use on the internet(one that is geographically close is a good thing). Email the admin for that source and explain that you would like to point one of your devices at their host as a clock source. I have never been turned down.

You should just point one device out of your network for NTP and then point all of your other devices to that one. That way you reduce un-necessary NTP traffic and un-necessary NTP requests at the internet source.

You need to set the timezone for your routers and any other options that you need.

HTH

Community Member

Big thankyou to you guys who helped me. I knew it made sense to point to an NTP source on the Internet, but wasn't sure if it was practical. Obviously it is and I used an NTP server in France from the website one of you suggested:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1a.html

All my other routers point to the router that syncs with the Internet NTP server - and it works a treat.

Thanks again,

Dazzler.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content