Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

NTP with Authentication on Cisco 2621

I am trying to configure NTP in my network with authentication. I dont have any device in my network with H/W clock. I am planning to set clock manually on cisco 2621 (Acts as master with stratum 4) and enable authentication as well. I configured as below on master (Cisco 2621;host name R1)

r1(config)#ntp master 4

r1(config)#ntp authenticate

r1(config)#ntp authentication-key 1 md5 cisco

r1(config)#ntp trusted key 1

on client switches

r2(cofnig)#ntp authentication-key 1 md5 cisco

r2(config)#ntp server r1 key 1

is this all needed to get what I wanted? or anything is missing? I couldnt succeed with the above.

As an alternative I am planning to consider NTP Access by restricting with an ACL. What keyword should I use to synchronize is it serve-only or serve???

Please help me!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Martin

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: NTP with Authentication on Cisco 2621

Martin,

Restricting NTP access using ACLs can be accomplished by using the ntp access-group command under router global configuration mode.

Based on your configuration, NTP authentication has not been enabled on the client. Did you try specifying the NTP server's IP address instead of the hostname on the client?

The following link should be useful: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/ffun_c/fcfprt3/fcf012.htm#1001202

Hope this helps,

Rajesh

Rajesh,

Thanks for the response.

Do I have to enable authentication even at client by the command "ntp authenticate"? I dont want peer association.

I tried by giving ip address instead of hostname but in vain.

If I configure ACL what keyword should I use for NTP access. Is it serve-only or serve?

I also wanted to know is there any problem in giving loopback ip as NTP server ip address (Currently I am using loopback as NTP serveru ip add). I knew HSRP virtual IP does not work as NTP server ip.................Is this same with Loopback ip aswell?????

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Hello,

Somebody can help me on this?

Thanks,

Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.