cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OC-12 ATM on CAt 6509

rodwrigh
Level 1
Level 1

I am designing a GIGE network that is interfacing with an ATM device that is connected to an OC48. My problem is what can Cisco offer in my design to combat the problem of a gig lan then going out of an OC12 pipe. This could be a bottle neck with all the images we have. Is there a way to load balance the atm links.

4 Replies 4

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Rod,

In theory, the only way you can avoid the Gigabit Ethernet network bottlenecking in one OC-12c pipe, is to aggregate two OC-12c connections. Gigabit Ethernet-to-ATM bridging should be able to accomplish the load balancing; I have done this with another vendor's switches, but I have no experience doing it with Cisco's 6509. (Even then, I don't think that customer ever actually generated a whole OC-12 pipe's worth of traffic at any given time, though both OC-12's were active.)

I guess it also depends what you're connecting to: some GigE ports get throttled down to around 600Mbps bandwidth by the hardware, to interface better with OC-12c. The only way to get full-duplex GigE speed I think is to point it into an OC-48c. I've done this with a Cisco ONS 15454; but this customer was being capped at 300Mbps feeding into the GigE by their Internet2 provider.

Do you have any other choices besides an OC-12, like dark fiber, or a GigE-based or WDM-based service provider? What kind of pictures are you moving, and how is it getting done now?

I built a GigE network over dark fiber for a health care system two years ago, that moved a lot of X-ray images from four hospitals across the fiber to a central storage area. The systems doing the X-rays had no better than Fast Ethernet connectivity, so we never ran out of bandwidth on the GigE backbone. I think that even with a Gigabit Ethernet NIC in a machine, you're not going to pump more than 400 to 600Mbps out of it, tops.

Hope this helps.

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One option you have is to put several OC12 modules in your chassis and then use spanning-tree parameters to do VLAN load-balancing as described at the following URL: http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/15.html

Frederic,

If you put two OC-12 modules in the chassis, can they be configured to be NNI connections, and have ATM automatically load-balance across both links to the ATM device that connects to the OC-48? If yes, I guess it depends on whether that device can do NNI also. Or, is there something else that limits us to just doing VLAN load-balancing per the hyperlink you provided?

Rod,

What kind of ATM device is it that attaches to the OC-48? Who makes it?

It would be a Marconi ASX 4000

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: