cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Odd problem with ftp

steve.kerr
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 64K kilostream circuit from UK to Kenya. UK end has a 2611router using configured for IP and ppp, the far end has a 3Com router.

In the UK we have a firewall between the Router and the LAN.

This link has worked fine until we employed NAT on the firewall as we have an address overlap problem with another network.

Since NAT was deployed on the firewall, we cannot ftp back from Kenya using a put, but we can use a get from kenya to pull back files from UK to Kenya,

we can put or get from the UK to Kenya.

If we try passive ftp (i.e. ftp -p) this works OK in any direction.

The firewall has been configured to allow both active and passive ftp, and even to bypass the rules, but all to no avail

Looking at the router log, I noticed the following entry:

%SYS-3-TIMERNEG: Cannot start timer (0x80DB4958) with nega

tive offset (-156083).

-Process= "Exec", ipl= 0, pid= 24

-Traceback= 802C5A68 802C38D8 8025491C 802560DC 8022F6D8 8022EE00 80340F00 80341

154 8025B150 802672F0 802D9128

Does anyone know if this is connected to our problem, or is this something else entirely?

2 Replies 2

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Since you didn't mention the firewall type I assume it's not Cisco. As such I can't be of much help but if passive works, sounds like a firewall issue to be sure (blocking the return port 20).

As for your error:

%SYS-3-TIMERNEG: Cannot start timer ([hex]) with negative offset ([dec]).

Explanation An internal software error has occurred.

Recommended Action Copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

ckossmey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 2 problems are separate.

I'd open a TAC case to troubleshoot the error message. Since you're able to use passive FTP, the problem is the firewall blocking the transfer port (TCP port 20)

Regards,

Clay