cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

offset-list to change EIGRP Metrics

cbelcher
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a sup720 that I would like to control which routes in the eigrp topology database get injected into the routing table. There are about 20 entries in the topology database for a specific route all with the same composite metric.

Any suggestions on how to control which routes populate the routing table?

Will using the offset-list command and a acl do it? If you guys think that will work could you give me an example of what the acl would look like?

My network is running just one eigrp process, with no route distribution.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Craig

What you are asking for can be done but it will be a bit tedious. You describe having 20 entries in the topology table and you want to control which one gets placed into the routing table. To do that you can either make the composite metric of the one entry more attractive or you can make the composite metric of the other 19 less attractive.

When you use an offset list you add to the metric of an entry. It will not make any entry be more attractive but it can make other entries less attractive. So you could configure an offset list identifying the route in question and apply some offset (100 should work for example). Then you would need to apply this offset to the 19 neighbors who are advertising the route.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Craig:

One other fix is to reduce the number of entries in the topology table for the same route. Select 2 or 3 sources for the route you need and configure a distribute list (assuming all EIGRP) on other sources so they won't advertise the route out. This will simplify the topology table quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Distribute list isnt a option for you?

vlad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: