Level 10
Level 10

Could be several things, but the most likely are:

1. Default gateway not set up correctly

2. Access list on router/layer-3

3. IP address conflict

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

gateway is setup perfectly,there is no access list, thre is no IP address conflict.

So can it ping the gateway?

yeah it is pinging the gateway & pingz other IP address in the same VLAN.

vinodpol
Level 1
Level 1

Plz check the subnet mask of the host.

There are several other things to check that could explain this problem:

- assuming that the PC can ping the gateway, does the gateway have a route to the remote VLAN?

- does the remote VLAN have a route back to this VLAN?

It might be helpful if you would post some additional information including:

address and gateway of the PC

configuration of the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rburts,

i think you have not understand my question clearly, i said only particular IP address where the printer is connected in each & every VLAN is not able to ping different VLAN, where as other IP address are able to reach.

Sorry, could you explain what you mean by " ... where the printer is connected ... " and " ... in each and every VLAN ... ". This seems to be new information. Are you saying there is one particular address, used by a printer in each VLAN, that has no inter-VLAN connectivity?

Is the gateway address and mask set up correctly in these printers as well?

It would be useful to know:

1. The actual address, gateway, and mask configured in this printer.

2. The actual address and mask of that VLAN on the router itself.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

yeah sure will explain,

let say u hav a PC(10.190.1.5/24)in VLAN 190, in this PC an printer is connected to the PC via parallel port cable(note it is not a network printer) this printer is shared for all the PC's with the VLAN 190. like that in each & every VLAN a PC has printer connected. now the problems starts only with the PC where the printer is connected i mean problem in the sense the IP address couldn't able to ping different VLAN's. where as other IP address is set to this printer PC it works. all these days 10.190.1.5/24 is working fine. like that in 10.191.1.5,10.192.1.5 etc.... r also working fine. but recently i noticed that this IP address problem affects only the PC where the printer is connected. as soon i change the IP as 10.190.1.6 in VLAN 190, 10.191.1.6 in VLAN 191 etc... of the printer PC it is working fine & so far i havn't faced problem. i hope u understood clearly now. yeah this is new problem & me also never heard abt this in my networking experiance.

That is really strange. I've never heard anything like that. For some reason I start thinking about MAC addresses and ARP. That's the sort of thing I look for when changing an IP address fixes the problem. But that doesn't fit the problem either because you say you can ping the gateway address OK.

And I presume you have tried rebooting the PC after attaching the printer, just in case attaching the printer has upset the NIC or something.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

yeah itz really strange, i tried as watt all u said, bit nothing worked, after changing the diffenent IP & connecting printer is working, but with 1 particular IP really dunnu y it is behaving like this.