cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One VLAN at a time working only

r.trejo
Level 1
Level 1

in my 2950 switch , i created 3 VLAN`s using commands config, int vlan 1,2,3. I added switchports to each VLAN configuring each fastethernet port. But only one VLAN can be up at a time and the ip address i assigned to VLAN 1 is applied to the VLAN a give the NO SHUT command and only this VLAN is up, the other two become shut. All VLANs have PC`s in their ports so the ports are active. what`s wrong?

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

I beleive that on a 2950 switch you are only allowed 1 vlan with an ip address assigned to be active at a time

ok. what if i just want to deploy port segmentation , what is my choice?

Or if the IP is the problem, Is it neccesary to assign an ip address to a VLAN active it or they can work without it?

thanks.

Hi,

Only one vlan interface is allowed for management only. It is not used for intervlan routing. Its primary purpose is for a user to access and manage the switch. You can still create multiple vlans and assign ports to the vlan. But, it will require an external router connected via a trunk link to route traffic between the vlans. See details below.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fswtch_c/swprt6/xcfvl80q.htm

-Robert

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

You can not create a VLAN with the "interface vlan" command. You need to enter the command "vlan 2" in the global config command to create the VLAN. You will be put into the VLAN configuration mode, from which you can specify features, such as the VLAN name, to the VLAN.

HTH

Mark

Hi,

I think you can creat a VLAN via interface VLAN. It will not however be in the VLAN Database, which means you still have to go to it and activate it. But it will still create it.