Views
Helpful
Replies

Operating System for Cat 5000

DotNM_2003
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've got a Cisco Catalyst 5000 with a Supervisor III and an RSM. Unfortunately, there's no operating system on it, and it does not support the TFTP or Kermit loading of one.

A friend of mine also has a 5000 with a Supervisor II which supports the downloading of an Operating System to it via TFTP and Kermit.

However... my friend's Cat5000 doesn't have an operating system on it either.

Does anyone know if any of the below are possible?

1. Can I plug my Supervisor III into slot two of my friend's Cat5000 and copy the operating system to mine?

or

2. Can I do the above with my RSM to a flash card?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Legally, no. You can't. The CatOS and IOS are licensed products, and licensed to the original purchaser (only) at the level provided with the hardware.

Both units will support XMODEM (and maybe XMODEM 1K) through the console port.

You can either do a one-shot purchase of an OS from a Cisco Partner (like cdw - www.cdw.com) or you can buy a SmartNet contract, which will include the cost of the original software plus updates for the duration of the conract.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

I already do have the OS image, but I only have it on a PC. Basically, I need to, somehow, get it onto a PCMCIA flash card so I can boot it from my switch.

If possible, could you please point me in the direction to do an XModem transfer? Everything I've tried with mine seems to indicate that it doesn't work (not sure why) with my Supervisor III.

Thanks for your reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco