Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Originating a default route in EIGRP

I'm trying to figure out a way to originate a default route from my core 6509 MSFC so that it propogates out to all my remote routers as an internal EIGRP route. I'm currently doing this via a redistribute static but it show up in the remote routers with a distance of 170. This causes routing issues with a parallel OSPF network we are running. I know a distance eigrp statement in the remote routers will change these distances but this causes other routing problems.

Also, is it possible to do a re-distribute static and apply a route-map to change administrative distances of the static routes being redistributed.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Originating a default route in EIGRP

The other way to do this would be to use a summary statement on some interface (or set of interfaces):

ip summary-address eigrp xxxx 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

This will generate an internal summary. You would have to do this on each outbound interface, and note it will generate a default route with an administrative distance of 5 (you say you have a static default configured on this router, so that shouldn't matter too much, since the static will beat the discard route). You can actually adjust the distance on the discard route (route to null0) by adding the admin distance to the end of the ip summary-address command.

I've been itching for default information originate in EIGRP for years now, but there are so many other new features being worked on, it's hard to get it squeeked in....

Hope that helps.

:-)

Russ.W

Cisco Employee

Instead of redistributing the static route in Eigrp, you could use the "ip default-network a.b.c.d" where a.b.c.d is a connected network on your core MSFC that you advertise in EIGRP. This will cause this prefix to be advertised as a "default candidate" and will be seen with an Admin Distance of 90 on all renote routers.

Harold Ritter
Sr. Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México 
Paseo de la Reforma 222 Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Gold

We don't normally recommend this, though....

:-)

Russ

Cisco Employee

Russ,

Any reason in particular?

TIA,

Harold Ritter
Sr. Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México 
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

because you cannot change or manipulae the vector metrics of the default route. Using the redistribute approach to create your candidated default route you can change/manipulate the metrics of your redistribution for you redundancy needs. See the cisco press book titled Eigrp Design Solutions or visit my site www.amilabs.com and look in the Case studies section for a white paper on a customer's EIGRP migration.

Cisco Employee

Redistribution doesn't really address the original issue of this thread though because of the higher admin distance.

Harold Ritter
Sr. Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México 
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Views
Helpful