Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF and "switchport block multicast"

mksmith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I have a series of 3550 switches between a core and edge router that are passing all traffic at Layer 2 (no Layer 3 services enabled on the 3550's). On each of the uplink ports between switches, we have "switchport block multicast" enabled because the network is being used for a lot of multicast traffic.

We are having difficulties forming OSPF adjacencies between the two routers, but IP traffic passes with no trouble. The devices are in their own VLAN across the switch. Thus, my question. Could it be that blocking unknown multicast is also filtering the OSPF LSA's riding on that VLAN?

Thanks,

Mike

2 Replies 2

kbeltz
Level 1
Level 1

I understand from this link that there is no distinction is being made from the LSA's multicast and other multicast, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e707.html

One option that you can try is to increase the multicast suppression threshold.

paul
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

you can use unicast vs multicast communication. But this will have some admin overhead.

int f0/0

ip ospf network non-broadcast

router ospf 1

neighbor 1.2.3.4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: