Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF broadcasts

Hi guys,

i have a doubt about ospf.

In a broadcast network, all the packets are multicasted, imagine a 3 routers conencted ina network, how can multicast work in that scenario.

I mean before the actual LS update flows, DB sequences needs to be synchronized, in a multicasting flow, router's B can be recieved by router C..and vice-versa, this will make them reset the adjacency and go again for establishing master-slave relation-ship..

please guide me, how does that happens,, if i am wrong, then how actually the adjacency is formed in a broadcast network

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: OSPF broadcasts

In situations like this there is a command 'ip ospf network point to multipoint' on the interface level

Bronze

It sounds like you are talking about a broadcast network and just trying to understand how multiple routers can build relationships with each other using multicasts.

I think the key is in the data. The destination address of the packet is a multicast address but the data in the packet uniquly identifies each router by router-id and source address.

On a Broadcast network, OSPF elects a DR for this purpose. Read up about DR election, and DR,BDR and DROther communication.

The summary is that the non-DR routers send their updates to the multicast address of 224.0.0.6 (AllDRouters). The DR and BDR listen to this address.

The DR takes the following action:

- reflood the LSA to 224.0.0.5 AllSPFRouters

The BDR takes following action:

- nothing

- unless it did not see the DR reflood the LSA within a few seconds, in which case he'll take over DR role

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content