Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF: DR/BDR Election

Hello,

as generally known on a broadcast multiacces-medium like ethernet multiple OSPF-Router perform an election of the designated and the backup designated router. If the designated router fails, the backup designated router succeed and a new backup designated router is elected. If the original designated router gets online again, no election will occour, because stability of the OSPF.

Now the question - how can I manually force the election of DR/BDR? Any ideas (beside reload of the designated router and shutdown of the interface pointing to the multiaccess-medium)?

Best regards, Martin

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: OSPF: DR/BDR Election

Martin,

You've mentioned the only options. This, as you eluded to, adds to OSPF's stability as well. As with ISIS the DIS is elected each time another with a higher priority is brought on to the Multi-Access medium. OSPF is very good in this way.

Hope this is what you were looking for,

Don

Hi Don,

thanks for yor reply. If I configure two routers (the most powerful) manually as DR and BDR, I've no chance to switch back in case of a takeover?

Tahnks, Martin

Silver

Martin,

You are correct, unless you perform the things in the previous posts.

Hope this helps,

Don

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content