cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF issue:Secondary address can not be routed

shan-cao
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question. My central router with a fastethernet port configured a secondary address which had been deployed into the ospf by "network" command. The central router can see the secondary address in the ospf route table, but the other router attached to the central router can not see the route of secondary address.

whether can not secondary address be used into the ospf environment? Or if it does, how to solve my problem?

Sincerely

6 Replies 6

seilsz
Level 4
Level 4

Is the primary network on the FastEthernet interface being advertised via OSPF?

~Zach

Yes

easyzjj
Level 1
Level 1

you should add the primary address into ospf also...

I don't know whether the secondary address can be used to form the ospf adjacency and be spread over the ospf network.

the cisco web site warns that secondary address can not be used to form the ospf adjacency. But I have saw there is product network really used the secondary address and propagate it through ospf. Deceptively, I need a explanation about this issue.

OSPF rules regarding secondary addresses:

1. OSPF adjacencies can not be built on secondary addresses.

2. OSPF advertises secondary netwroks as long as primary address is advertised (For both primary and secondary therer should be network statements.)

Regards.

pcollard
Level 1
Level 1

When you use a secondary address in OSPF, your network is a stub network. For a stub network, there is no LSA type 2 (network LSA) but LSA type1 (router LSA). So if you want to see a stub network in an OSPF database, you can't use the command "sh ip ospf database" but you need to use the command "show ip ospf database router"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: