cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF LSAs

chuck.price
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering why there were no Type 6 LSAs in OSPF. The Types range from 1-7 skipping 6. I know this is not a crtical question, I just want to know for curiosity's sake.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Acutally there are type 6 LSA's. They are defined in RFC 1584. LS type = 6 group-membership-LSA

They are used in MOSPF for Multicast. See the RFC at

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1584.html

Regards,

Don Ewald

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Acutally there are type 6 LSA's. They are defined in RFC 1584. LS type = 6 group-membership-LSA

They are used in MOSPF for Multicast. See the RFC at

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1584.html

Regards,

Don Ewald

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

There are type 6 LSAs in OSFP--in fact, there's everything up to 12 or 13, but I'd have to go look to know what the last one is. I know these:

1 -- router (including stub links attached to this router, and connected neighbors, other than those on broadcast links)

2 -- network (actually a node representing a network)

3 -- summary lsa (not an ip address summary, necessarily)

4 -- border router (originated by an ABR, to show where a type 5 within an area is originated to routers outside the area)

5 -- external

6 -- multicast route (no vendors support this at the moment, that I know of, though old Bay/Proteon stuff did, and thus Nortel might)

7 -- nssa external, converted to type 5 at an ABR

Above here are opaques, and one experimental one, but Cisco really doesn't support any of them, except for some of the opaque stuff.

Hope that helps....

Russ.W

It sure does. Thanks to both of you. I never thought to look to MOSPF to find the LSA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: