Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF or EIGRP?

tjay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

got a fairly flat network, with multiple DMZ's.

Over 2 floors, we have 3 CAT 4K switches trunked over fibre using just 2 vlans.

May want to implement more vlans, what routing protocol would you recommend?

Cheers

tjay

4 Replies 4

edmonds_robert
Level 1
Level 1

If you're unsure I would probably go with EIGRP. Unless you are sure that your organization will be growing rapidly and you will eventually have a fairly large network. EIGRP is a little easier to configure, but OSPF is generally considered to be more scalable. Also, if you ever buy a non Cisco router, EIGRP won't work with it, although you can always redistribute to other protocols.

If you choose OSPF, I would definitely recommend reading up on it and doing plenty of practice with it. It can be quite tricky with its many different types of areas and such. Also, I hope somebody will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe EIGRP converges a little faster than OSPF, although there is not a huge difference like there would be when compared to RIP, for example. OSPF also requires more CPU utlization than some other protocols, although with your current setup, it sounds like that probably won't be much of an issue. Just something to consider as you grow.

I hope I made at least SOME sense here. Good luck.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

EIGRP would be better.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

cpapilaya
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think you need routing protocol to implement more VLANs, that's the idea of creating VLAN, try to eliminate layer 3 device such as router, unless for inter VLAN communication then you need layer 3 device, in this case than you need router that support ISL(inter-switch link) routing or you can use router that has 2 or 3 fastethernet connection and connect each vlan to these interfaces.

hope can help.

sgatech
Level 1
Level 1

EIGRP SHOULD WORK FOR YOU WITH A FLAT NETWORK