Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ospf reporting hsrp routes

I have an OSPF wan network,all cisco, most routers running 11.2 and I installed two 12.1 3640 lan only routers running HSRP. The routes picked up by OSPF are duplicate destination routes but via the two actual interface ip addresses not the HSRP address. I got over this by administering a static route via the HSRP address. Is this normal or would an IOS upgrade on the 11.2 routers fix this problem?

I also had a problem with this connection when the primary interconnection between the hsrp routers errored, so much so that communication was not possible, but HSRP did not switch to the other connection because the interface was actually up. Is there a threshold you can set on HSRP?

1 REPLY

Re: ospf reporting hsrp routes

OSFP and HSRP:

Two unrelated protocols. OSPF is used to build routing tables so that a device (a router for instance) can find the best path to a destination. When a failure occurs, OSPF will recognize the failure and route around it, if possible.

HSRP is used by devices that only support a "default gateway". HSRP allows two or more routers to pretend they are one device so that those devices that cannot speak a routing protocol (like OSPF) can still route around a failure.

Do not try to force a router using OSPF to use an HSRP ip address. You can tune OSPF to re-converge faster, if you choose.

You can set HSRP timers. By default, hellos go out every 3 seconds and if the secondary does not receive a hello within 10 seconds, it will take over as primary. You can reduce the timers here, but be careful... this could cause flapping depending on your topology.

Mick.

Views
Helpful
Replies