Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF

Hi

I am preparing for CCNP, I ahve a question about AS is ospf. What determines if a particular router belongs to an AS, is its the OSPF process ID? I am not clear about this

thanks

6 REPLIES

Re: OSPF

Please check the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk480/technologies_design_guide09186a0080094e9e.shtml

The process ID has not the same significance for OSPF like it has for EIGRP. OSPF has no concept of AS. Instead, with OSPF, the area-id to which an interface belongs decides whether to exchange routing info or not. In fact there are a few more parameters that need to match (hello & dead time, etc) but these are generally equal in the whole network, so the area-id is the one that makes the final match.

Regards,

Leo

Hi

Thank you for sending you comments

One thing i am not clear with is, say I have to connect my AS with another AS and both run ospf. how is this handled.

Gold

The process number has no bearing on the AS a router is in for OSPF--it's not included in any OSPF prackets at all. An OSPF area boundary would be where two different processes talk on two different interfaces--the processes must exchange routes through redistribution. For instance, you could do this:

A--10.1.1.0/24--B--10.1.2.0/24--C

! router a

router ospf 100

network 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.25 area 0

! router b

router ospf 200

network 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

!

router ospf 100

network 10.1.2.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

! router c

router ospf 200

network 10.1.2.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

Router A's process 100 and router B's process 200 are in the same autonomous system, while router B's process 1 and router C's process 100 are in the same autonomous system.

I hope that helps....

:-)

Russ.W

Gold

dup..

Gold

dup..

Hi

Thank you for the reply

Also ignore my second question, that was so dumb to mix up exterior routing protocols with interior routing protocols

Views
Helpful
Replies