Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Out-of-band management via 7206VXR AUX or Console

I am having major problems configuring my AUX ports (I know, they are not truly a "port!") to accept inbound calls for remote access to the router for management. I have several 3600-series, 2600-series and a couple of 2500-series routers that work just fine for me, but cannot get this to work. I have confirmed that the modems, cables and connectors are OK by successfully connecting to a 2610 router with them. I have tried this using both USR and Hayes modems, trying both autodetect and manual entry modes for the USR modems. Does anyone have a config that they have actually seen work? I am willing to move the modems to the Console if necessary. Thanks in advance!!!

1 REPLY

Re: Out-of-band management via 7206VXR AUX or Console

Ofcourse.

You will need a PC with hyperterminal, and USR modem. (USR 56k). Attach the flat console cable (blue or black would work), from modem to your PC. Connect using hyperterminal to the modem, at 9600 1 8 N (normal setting at which you connect to the router)

1. The USR modem, has 8 dipswitches on the back side.

2. set 7 down, remaining all up, and turn it on. This will reset configs of the modem to factory defaults. Turn modem off.

3. set 1,3,8 down, while rest up. Connectivity with USR modem can be verified by typing "ATE0" on the hyperterminal screen and you should get an OK from the Modem.

Now Paste the following string "at&f0q1e0s0=1&b0&n6&u6&m4&k0&w". Ignore the quotes that i have put at frond and back. BEfore pasting this string, you might want to set the ECHO on feature on hyperterminal. You can set it on ASCII setup button on Properties of Hyperterminal. (This is set so that what ever you paste can be seen)

4. Once you paste this, turn the modem off, and set 1,4,6,8 down and rest up.

Now the modem is ready to be dialed in through a POTS line, when attached to a COnsole port of Cisco router.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content