cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

outage

bkaren1278
Level 1
Level 1

last monday at ~540 several users on the network reported a momentary outage observed by a link disconnect icon on their workstations. This was repeated today. After the first outage i installed a syslog server. The log shows several interfaces going down then coming back up but does not offer any insight why. The switch did not lose power as its uptime is over 3 days. It has the latest 12.0 IOS on it (was upgraded after the first spike).

any ideas or methods to troubleshoot this?

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brook

It might be helpful to know what model of switch you are dealing with.

Also I would suggest checking the log on the switch itself. There might be messages in the switch log which do not make it to the syslog server.

Also is it possible to evaluate information about the users who did report the issue: are they perhaps all on the same card in the switch, are they perhaps all in the same VLAN, is there any element you can identify that is common among these users?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

IOS (tm) C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC13, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

all users are in a single vlan. The ports vary in the switch, there are no commonalities that i can see.

i have attached the sh logging.

thanks

BK

Brook

Thanks for posting the content of the log file. I assume that the time that users reported this issue is within the time range reflected in the log file (17:13 to 20:00)?

The log file certainly does not indicate any issue on the switch that would cause the loss of connectivity. What is the physical connectivity from the user workstations? Is there perhaps a patch panel or any other device that connections go through that could cause this?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The patch panel has been in place for quite some time. Prior to the 4507 there were 2 4006s and everything worked fine. A single 4507 replaced the 4006s and workstations went to 3000 series switches connected to a 6 port fiber card in the 4507. The majority of the 3000 series switches are 3550s with no reported problems

Since everything is on a single vlan w/ an 8 bit mask (i know its horrible and project plans are in place to change a prior administrators decision)..... is it possible that either spanning tree or some sort of broadcast storm is affecting my 3500s since they are older and not as powerful as the 3550s?

Brook

I would believe that spanning tree would be more likely to cause the symptom you describe than a broadcast storm (for user workstations to report no link).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: