Views
Helpful
Replies

Over subscribing bandwidth points on 7206VXR

stu_syn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

In this instance, I have a customer who wishes to oversubscribe their bandwidth points as per the following note on CCO:

"Note You can use a Cisco 7200 series router with a port adapter configuration that exceeds the preceding guidelines; however, to prevent anomalies from occurring while the router is in use, we strongly recommend restricting the port adapter types installed in the router according to the guidelines listed above. Additionally, your port adapter configuration must be within the above guidelines before the Cisco Technical Assistance Center will troubleshoot anomalies that are occurring in your Cisco 7200 series router. "

We have a 7206 with NSE-1 and wish to do this, however when the POST brings up the following error:

"%C7200-3-PACONFIG:Exceeds 600 bandwidth points for slots 0, 1, 3 & 5"

it then disables the port. So how IS it possible to "exceed the recommendations"? Does it depend on the specific situation or is there a hidden command which will allow us to continue to use it?

Many thanks in advance,

Stuart Smith

5 Replies 5

mljohnson
Level 4
Level 4

The link which you reference goes on to give a solution and Case Study. You should review this info to see what you should do next.

Certainly there is no case study or solution in the document I have been looking at, which is purely a list of bandwidth points and memory requirements.

Perhaps you (or somebody) could point me in the direction of a document which does have this information.

Thank youj.

rafael.asilva
Level 1
Level 1

"Cisco 7200 series routers have a finite data-carrying capacity, referred to as bandwidth, that affects the port adapter distribution in the chassis, as well as the number and types of port adapters you can install.

To ensure that your Cisco 7200 series router port adapter configuration is within the router operating limits, observe the following guidelines and requirements when planning to install a port adapter, network processing engine or network services engine, or I/O controller."

These requirements are described in http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/7206/port_adp/config/3471in.htm#69756

How many and which adapters you have in the router? In which slots? Can you change PA in the slots?

I wish to add one PA-1G (400 points) to the router. (slot 2)

I wish to add one PA-2FE-FX (400 points) to the router (slot 1)

The IO controller is a 2 port FE-Tx module (also 400 points) even though these won't be used.

Skip it, I'm withdrawing my answer, I just can't figure out how to delete it, oh well!