Views
Helpful
Replies

PA-GE LX GBIC 7204VXR + VLANS?

johnelliot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have an option to terminate ethernet with one of our providers via GBIC fibre, or 10/100 FE - I would assume that we could not run VLANs over the service, if we were to terminate the connection on a 7204VXR via a PA-GE?(i.e. We would have to terminate the service on a Cisco switch, and trunk all vlans up to the 7204, then break them out as dot1q subints?)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is absolutely okay...

PK

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

John,

I'm not sure I understand why you think you can't terminate VLANs directly on the router when using a PA-GE. I can't see any problems with doing so at all.

Paresh

Hi Paresh - If we can, fantastic!

Can you provide any links that provide examples(Having never used GBIC, I am unfamilar with how it would work with vlans on the 7200)?

John,

I'm not sure I have any links covering your precise setup. However, what you need to understand is that the GBIC results in the presentation of a single gigabit ethernet port on your router. YOu can then create dot1q sub-interfaces under this interface as you would with a Fast Ethernet interface.

The GBIC simply allows you to use different media types for different distance/cabling requirements.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks Parresh - So I could do something like(Assuming provider is using vlan 20 + vlan 30 for the client connections):

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/0.20

description Customer 1 VLAN

encapsulation dot1Q 20

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/0.30

description Customer 2 VLAN

encapsulation dot1Q 30

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.252

That is absolutely okay...

PK