Views
Helpful
Replies

PA-GE LX GBIC 7204VXR + VLANS?

johnelliot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have an option to terminate ethernet with one of our providers via GBIC fibre, or 10/100 FE - I would assume that we could not run VLANs over the service, if we were to terminate the connection on a 7204VXR via a PA-GE?(i.e. We would have to terminate the service on a Cisco switch, and trunk all vlans up to the 7204, then break them out as dot1q subints?)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is absolutely okay...

PK

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

John,

I'm not sure I understand why you think you can't terminate VLANs directly on the router when using a PA-GE. I can't see any problems with doing so at all.

Paresh

Hi Paresh - If we can, fantastic!

Can you provide any links that provide examples(Having never used GBIC, I am unfamilar with how it would work with vlans on the 7200)?

John,

I'm not sure I have any links covering your precise setup. However, what you need to understand is that the GBIC results in the presentation of a single gigabit ethernet port on your router. YOu can then create dot1q sub-interfaces under this interface as you would with a Fast Ethernet interface.

The GBIC simply allows you to use different media types for different distance/cabling requirements.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks Parresh - So I could do something like(Assuming provider is using vlan 20 + vlan 30 for the client connections):

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/0.20

description Customer 1 VLAN

encapsulation dot1Q 20

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/0.30

description Customer 2 VLAN

encapsulation dot1Q 30

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.252

That is absolutely okay...

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: