Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Errors & Collisions

leowchongwei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The packet errors & collisions on a particular port on my Cat4006 keeps increasing. This is connected to a 4700series router. What can i do to find out the cause of this errors? Thanks

5 Replies 5

a.manosca
Level 4
Level 4

Probably caused by one of the following (or both):

- Duplex mismatch (verify correct duplex setting on switch and router)

- Cable problems (try using a known good cable)

HTH.

Initially the problem is at eth1, so i switched the port at the Cat4006 to another port and error still exist.

Next i tried to configure eth0, but again the problem exist.

2 different cables are used. Could the problem lies with other things such as faulty client's NIC?

Thanks

Bad or faulty NICs can also be a cause but I did not mention it

anymore in my post because you said that it is connected to a

router. Well, it could also be that the ethernet ports on the

router is the cause but I think that's very rare.

So do you see the error on both end of the link?

Is it increasing rapidly?

yes, both the switchport and router eth have the errors... the collisions are increasing at abt 10-40 per second during peak hours... but so far no complains abt the network is slow or watever. That's the main line out of the company.

i also notice... for the router, only the collision is increasing and not the packet errors (remain at 0)... for the switchport, the collision and output errors are increasing with same values...

I would bet the switch is set for full duplex, while your router is only doing half, or vice versa. Check if any of the ports are manually configured out of default state.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco