Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Packet loss on 3525 GBIC link

I'm trying to develop a test scenario for pass/fail testing of some questionable GBICs. We've had a series of both complete and partial (one phase of three) power failures, and some of the links did not come up when power was restored. My test-bed is 2 3524-pwr switches, with an uplink to the production network, but no hosts on either switch. I have the 2 switches linked by SX GBICs with a 2-meter SC-SC fiber patch cable. I thought I could just do continuous pings between the 2 switches, but I'm seeing some loss even with known new GBICs. If I send 10,000 1K pings from one switch to the other with no user traffic, I expected to see 100% response, but every time I'm losing a few. Is there a reason for this, and how many lost pings can I consider acceptable?

1 REPLY

Re: Packet loss on 3525 GBIC link

Hi ALMD

Even though this is not a Cat4500 question, I'll take a stab. Check the sh interfaces output for any clues, like CRC's. Missing a few pings out of 10,000 would not have any material effect on L2 or L3 protocols.

John

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content